Monday, January 12, 2009

A Quick Game of Catch-Up


Well I spent five full days on Jury Duty. It was an experience to say the least. It was a lot of up and down, in and out, waiting, waiting and more waiting but the time spent in the actual court room was very interesting, very sad and very disturbing. On Friday night around 6:00 p.m. my fellow jurors convicted a man on 3 counts: incest, child molestation and aggravated child molestation. Makes me sick to my stomach! Since it was an open court room a few of us stayed to hear the sentencing ... this man will spend the rest of his life in prison. I have thought a lot about the case since Friday, I can't seem to get it out of my mind. I feel like justice prevailed but it still doesn't take back what the man did to his own young daughter. It amazes me what human beings are capable of.

During all my waiting I was able to read Redeeming Love for my book club. I could not put it down and I finished it in 4 days. I cannot rave enough about Francine Rivers and I encourage every single person to pick up this book. Now I will tell you, I like chick-lit (good-old fashion trash) and I was apprehensive about being able to get in to this book but it is seriously the best book I have ever read. Hands down. I cannot wait for book club on Wednesday to discuss it. It is a wonderful story of forgiveness and Christ's unwavering love. Please, please, please read it! I want to read the book of Hosea before Wednesday .... do you think that is possible? I don't even know how long Hosea is. Anyways, I am definitely going to order The Lineage of Grace series and the Mark of the Lion series also written by Francine Rivers.

Since I did not get out of court until 6 pm on Friday night my mom and I decided to leave for Atlanta on Saturday morning and spend the night on Saturday night. We picked up a couple of great lines and I am excited about sharing them with you all soon! I had the chance to meet up with the lovely Blue-Eyed Bride and that was such a treat!!! We will have to make a tradition out of that BEB and maybe next time we will have more time to visit. :)

Last night the Beau and I went to our first Financial Peace University class at church. It was amazing and we are already completely on-board. I think that this class is going to be so good for both of us spiritually and finacially. I am sure I will be talking a lot about this class so get prepared!

Hope you all have a wonderful week!

xoxo~

26 comments:

Unknown said...

Umm... if you can read Redeeming Love in 4 days, you can read Hosea in 2! It's one of my favorite books too! {Redeeming Love, that is.}

Lindsey said...

LOVE Redeeming Love, such an amazing book!
Can't wait to hear more about this financial class!

Anonymous said...

I have taken that class, and it is wonderful!...I wasnt in any debt to begin with but it really teaches you how to manage your money. I totally look at financial situations and purchases differently now. You will get soooo much out of it!....good luck!, I love your blog

Mojito Maven said...

LOVE Redeeming Love! AND, your jury duty sounds so heartbreaking!!!! I'm not sure if I would have been able to let something like ot of my mind! WOW!

Glad you and Erin had a fantastic time!!

Blue-Eyed Bride said...

i'm so glad you loved redeeming love. it's such an amazing book. i want to read it again and think it would be great for a book club-- discussion should be REQUIRED after reading that book. i just felt like i had to talk to everyone about it, but no one had read it. maybe i'll start that up. :) i'm sure you can read hosea very quickly.

it was such a treat to get to meet you. i'm sorry it was so rushed. could you tell i was having a pregnancy hunger attack? :) we can definitely make it a market tradition. you and your mom were both so beautiful!

~Mrs. Guru~ said...

I still need to read that book! I have kinda left reading for a bit.

Kelli Radford said...

I was at market too! I ended up going with my husband who was invited through his work so I was giddy the whole time!

We are also starting FPU on Thurs. We are so excited!

d.a.r. said...

Ugh, I prosecute child abuse and neglect cases. It is killer, and seriously one of those jobs that "comes home with you at night". Sorry you had to see that, but congrats on serving your community through jury duty!

Piper Jacquelyn said...

Wow, court sounds like it was pretty traumatic! Glad that's over, but I'm sure it was an interesting experience none the less! And you got to read a great book in the meantime! Have a great week!

LovesPINKandPEARLS said...

oh wow, well good job on putting that horrible guy in prison!

The wife said...

Your jury duty would have ripped my heart out! When I did attend college I was a psych major with every intention of counseling young children, but then it dawned on me one day that I would probably end up behind bars for trying to murder someone who had harmed a child in such a way!

Glad to hear the book club recommendation. I just joined a book club for the first time and I have been wondering what book I would choose when it's my turn to host. I will definitely keep this one in mind.

Life of a Savannah Wife said...

Belle, can you mail me this book? I really want to read it!!! And, I'm glad market went well. I want to visit the store soon so I can get some goodies :)

Mrs. Wife said...

So glad you had fun at market! I imagine you would be thinking a lot about that case, so sad. I just finised Redeeming Love last night - A-MAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!

jlc said...

I've heard such good things about this book. I'm super curious now!!

Have a GREAT week. :)

Elizabeth said...

i don't think i would've been able to sit through a case like that on jury duty especially now that i have a child. things like that disturb me more.

i'm really curious about the book. i am trying to read more this year so i will have to look into this one. i generally like chick lit too:)

i can't say enough good things about financial peace. it will totally bring you and your husband closer!

Mrs. Ruby said...

Redeeming Love is by far one of my most favorite books EVER!!!

Christy said...

Thanks for the heads up on the book. I love reading so I will have to pick it up asap!
Looking forward to the financial class - once I get out of school I definitely want to take a class like that one.

Wearing Mascara said...

Wow about the jury duty! I bet you're relieved that it's over.

That book sounds good! I should pick it up - thanks for the recommendation!

Mrs.Preppy said...

Good luck with the class! My husband and I took it last Fall at our church. It really has some great suggestions and ideas on how to live.

Ashley Brooke Designs said...

I have heard Redeeming Love is really great! Also does your mom's shop have a website, I would love to check it out! :)

Rachel said...

I am so glad he was put away. I am sure this was not an easy thing to sit through or be a part of.

Meagan said...

Redeeming love is one of my all time favorite books!!! Also, the Mark of the lion series had me in tears..it was so amazing I couldn't put the books down!

The Marden Family said...

I am ordering this book on Amazon as I type, and can't wait to hear what you and your hubby are doing for the FPU class. My husband and I are trying to follow a similar plan to increase our savings and I love to hear others' tips and strategies! Good luck!

Sharlene Kanold said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sharlene Kanold said...

Im new to the blogging! I saw that you read Redeeming Love too! I just finished reading it yesterday! That was a intriguing book! I could not put it down either! I am so glad to hear other women have read this book! I hope a movie producer makes a movie on Redeeming Love!

網頁設計 said...

hooray, your writings on theater and writing much missed!