Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Take Note

Last night I hosted my first dinner party of the holiday season. My mom came over until the very last second helping me put all the finishing touches on my Christmas decor. I must admit, it looks pretty darn festive. I hope to post pictures soon - the problem is that all I have is this stupid little camera phone because my real camera has been broken for at least 3 months. Anyhow, it is always so nice to eat and fellowship with sweet friends ... and the holidays make it even more special. We have many-a-party to attend in the next 2 weeks so lots of my posts will likely be about food. I love everything about holiday party food! I have a pile of loose papers right here beside my desk with recipes that I have jotted down from all of your blogs. Please keep the recipes coming!

Okay, here is where you should take note. I do not cook low-fat, reduced-fat, non-fat (none of that non-sense:) ) when cooking for guests. Like everyone else, I have ways of trying to keep a semi-slim and trim figure but skimping when guests come over is not one of them! So, if you should ever dine at my home ... you have been warned! haha. I promise it will be tasty though. Last night was no exception to this rule. I had an appetizer, salad, pasta dish and dessert ~ it was hard to accept compliments though because everything was soo easy.

For something to snack on while the pasta was in the oven I made a Holiday Cheese Ball. My friend's mother (hey Fran!) is notorious for making this cheese ball and it is always a hit. It takes about 2 seconds. Here are the only 3 ingredients you will need ... oh yeah you will need some Ritz crackers to serve too!

Mix a dry ranch dressing packet in with 8 oz. of softened cream cheese. Form in to a ball. Roll the ball so that it is completely covered in the bacon. Serve with crackers. **So sorry the picture quality is so terrible**

I made a Mandarin Orange and Kiwi Salad and the recipe is in this post.

For the main course I made a Creamy Chicken Pasta that I got from my town's newest Junior League cookbook .... these cookbooks always have the best recipes. This dish was delicious and easy as pie. It is kind of a different take on poppy seed chicken - surely all you Southerners are familiar with poppy seed chicken! Didn't have time for pics ... I was running out of time but here is the recipe:

Ingredients:

12 oz. angel hair pasta, 2 cups cooked diced chicken, 1/2 cup softened butter, 2 cans of cream of chicken soup, 2 cups of sour cream, 1 tsp. garlic salt, 1 tbsp. parsley flakes, Parmesan cheese

Directions:

Break pasta in half and cook according to package directions. Meanwhile, in large bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Stir in cooked pasta, then pour in to a greased backing dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 60 minutes or until bubbly.

Dessert was probably the biggest hit of the night. It is a recipe that my mom has been making for years and she calls it Peach Yums. What you will need:


All you do is crush up all of your coconut bars (I am not even sure why these cookies are called coconut bars because they taste nothing like coconuts) and pour one stick of melted butter over the crushed cookies and stir. Then drain your peach halves and keep juice. Pour half of the peach juice in the bowl with the crushed cookies and butter and pour the other half in to the bottom of a baking dish. Arrange the peach halves on the baking dish and scoop the cookie mixture in to the pit of the peach. It will look something like this:

Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 20 minutes. Best served with vanilla ice cream!

EAT, DRINK & BE MERRY!

xoxo~

27 comments:

Sasha said...

Thanks for the recipes! I will def be making the dip and chicken dish soon!

Also, I got the brelly in the mail yesterday- it's so cute! Thanks so much for the fabulous prize! It will come in handy since my previous brelly just broke!

Lindsey said...

Thanks for the recipes! They all sound so good!

LyndsAU said...

Look at you, you go girl! i will be making that cheese ball (not for me to eat but for others) soon :) thanks for the recipe :)

Lulu said...

that cheese ball looks delicious!

Stephanie said...

I am stealing the cheese ball recipe.

I don't cook low fat/non fat ever. I don't really think it is better for you. Everything in moderation :)

Rachel said...

Wow how simple is that spread! And that dessert I must try!
Thanks for sharing; can't wait to see the pics of your festive home.

Olde Town Style Guide said...

Thank you so much for the recipes! I am going to try the pasta dish this weekend!!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing the recipes!

Blue-Eyed Bride said...

i never cook low fat for guests either. it has to TASTE good and i love compliments, so i do what i have to do. don't skimp on the fat! :) the cheese ball sounds amazing. our JL cookbook has the best recipes in it, too.

Lindsey said...

How cute are you?! What a great hostess you are! When can I come over?!

The Pink Chick said...

Thanks for sharing all your recipes! I love to entertain, so these will come in handy!!!

Sandra said...

Now I am starving... sounds like it was a wonderful!

AndreaLeigh said...

I love poppy seed chicken, so I am definately trying out that pasta recipe!

Lauren said...

I never cook healthy when I have guests either, my theory is that when guests are coming that's the time to break out the fattening recipes so you don't have to eat it all by yourself!

starfish said...

Totally not related...but are you going to do any more wedding Wednesdays?

starfish said...

That would be awesom1! My e-mail is newportnuptials@gmail.com Thanks so much! I love your whole wedding look.

Belle (from Life of a...) said...

I say we all throw caution to the wind and indulge ourselves a little bit during the holidays...Everything sounds yummy!

Hopsy said...

Your food looks and sounds wonderful! I am glad your party went well!

Unknown said...

Yum! How festive and gorgeous! I wish I had been at your house last night! :)

Mary Beth said...

All of your food looked so yummy! Thanks for the recipes. I may try the cheeseball out this weekend.

Hollie said...

I think I'll make the peach yums for our work christmas party! thanks!

Caitlin said...

I think I'll be trying the pasta recipe soon! It sounds fabulous.

Mandy Rose said...

Thanks for the great recipe ideas!! I will definitely be trying them out!!

Nicole said...

I love that recipe with the bacon bits!!! Anything bacon is great in my mine!

A Delightful Life said...

I love the cheese ball recipe! Thanks so much. It was a party favorite!

Anonymous said...

i am loving your blog and all these little treats to try.

Kim said...

I found your blog on The Hall Family blog. I made the Holiday Cheese ball for my family, it was so yummy! Thanks for all of the recipes. I am making the Peanut Butter Blossoms right now.